Procurement Engineer - EAVX - Ann Arbor, MI
Are you an experienced Engineer with Procurement experience that would be excited to work for a 2B+ company in a start-up environment and amazing potential for growth? If so, please read on!
EAVX is the innovation hub, and newest business unit of the $2B+ revenue enterprise of JB Poindexter & Co. (JBPCO). With 95% of JBPCO’s business dedicated to transportation, EAVX leverages its market leadership and formidable resources to collaborate with chassis partners and technology suppliers for the purpose of optimizing the design and manufacture of next-generation commercial vehicles. Our holistic approach to integration, deployment and serviceability empowers the world’s leading fleets to meet high standards for sustainability and performance – transforming the road ahead.
JB Poindexter & Co is a privately held, diversified manufacturing company forecasting $2.5B in annual revenue and 9,000 team members in 2022. The nine operating subsidiaries, covering over 50 locations, are engaged in the production of commercial truck bodies, step-vans, utility trucks, funeral coaches, limousines, electric and alternative fuel vehicles, pickup truck bed enclosures, precision machining, and expandable foam plastic packaging. For more information, visit jbpoindexter.com.
About The Role
The Procurement Engineer will be responsible for working with engineering and the prototype test manager to determine what needs to be ordered, working with purchasing and engineering to determine who to order from, and then inputting new suppliers and orders into JD Edwards ordering system for approval
- Develop, lead, and implement business cost reduction strategies through Sourcing to improve our cost position without sacrificing quality.
- Evaluate, coordinate and support sourcing opportunities in US and low cost regions.
- Support product development and improvement teams by sourcing new technologies from qualified suppliers while leading the qualification process.
- Identify opportunities to standardize/consolidate existing parts to reduce the number of SKUs.
- Challenge existing suppliers to recommend more cost effective and/or more reliable products that will improve our competitive position. Assist in the evaluation and coordination of these recommendations.
- Lead vendor initial qualification through the First Article Process, ensuring vendor products meet legislative, customer and JBPCO Engineering requirements.
- Once qualified, drive supplier actions to verify part and process quality at the supplier’s location to reduce the need for incoming inspection.
- Work with Sourcing, Engineering and Quality to develop procedures and processes to qualify potential suppliers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field; Mechanical or Electrical Engineering preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Continuous improvement experience including Lean or Six Sigma
- Proficient in reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings, specifications, and regulations
- PC skills including MS Office, Auto CAD and Solidworks
- Willingness to travel 25-50%, both domestically and internationally
- Basic MS Office knowledge; computer software/internet proficiency
- Ability to locate new suppliers via the internet
- Organized and able to work on procurement of several hundred parts concurrently
- Team oriented, flexible, and focused on maintaining a high level of customer service
Location: This role will start at in downtown Ann Arbor and move to our Innovation Center in Southern Ann Arbor.