Medical Assistant - Corner Health Center - Ypsilanti
Do you have experience in the medical field and a passion to provide affordable care to the youth population? Read on, and join the Corner Health Center as a Medical Assistant!
About Corner Health Center
We are a comprehensive adolescent and young adult health center committed to offering a full range of health care, mental health and other supportive services for young people. We provide judgment-free, high-quality, affordable health services to young people ages 12 to 25. Services are available regardless of ability to pay.
The staff at Corner Health Center has a deep understanding and appreciation of the unique needs of young people and we welcome all regardless of race, religious affiliation, gender or gender identity. All LGBTQ+ people are warmly welcomed for our services.
About the Role
The Corner Health Center has an immediate opening for full-time Certified Medical Assistant. This position is 40 hours per week and will include evening hours in our specialized adolescent health care clinic. This position will work alongside clinicians, nurses and behavioral health staff in an outpatient clinic to provide health care to adolescents and young adults. No Certified Nursing Assistants will be considered for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Opens clinic and prepares for the day including opening rooms and ensuring they are appropriately stocked.
- Prepares patients for clinician’s visit, including taking and recording vitals, blood draws, reporting variances in vital signs to appropriate nurse or clinician, and providing patient education.
- Assists clinician during patient exam and procedures including, but not limited to, pap tests, Nexplanon removals, and IUD placement.
- Ensures that all proper paperwork and supplies are available for visit type.
- Administers immunizations and other injections as ordered by clinician..
- Documents all work accurately in the patient’s chart.
- Administers appropriate medications as prescribed by clinicians.
- Performs venipuncture as needed.
- Cleans, sterilizes and restocks all instruments.
- Cleans and disinfects exam rooms after each patient visit.
- Cleans and disinfects lab.
- Accurately performs lab tests. Prepares lab samples after clinician collection, fills out lab requisitions and sends to the appropriate lab.
- Maintains clinic inventory. Orders clinic supplies and equipment.
- Monitors expiration dates on all supplies, medications and immunizations.
- Performs monthly immunization recall.
- Performs weekly/monthly CLIA waived tests/controls on lab tests.
- Closes lab/clinic at the end of the day.
- Practice/maintain OSHA compliance.
- Attends staff and clinic meetings.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Completion of a CMA program and National Certification or at least 2 years of experience as a Medical Assistant in a Primary Care setting.
- Proficiency and competency in taking vital signs, giving immunizations, performing blood draws, coordinating of patient flow, and other assignments as needed.
- Proven ability to work with vulnerable populations.
- High level of professionalism
- Strong customer service skills
- Inventory management experience
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Willingness to work with a team
- Working knowledge of Electronic Medical Records, especially Athena or EPIC
- Strong computer skills
- Must be willing to work flexible hours.
- Appreciation for the agency mission
- Current documentation of active National Certification as CMA, RMA, NCCMA, or NCMA
- Experience/service in a community health/medical setting
- Spanish language skills a plus
Benefits include accrued PTO, health insurance, paid holidays, and optional employee paid dental insurance and 403b retirement fund.