Human Capital and Workforce Strategy Project Manager - CIRAS - Ames, IA
Are you a Human Resources professional that would enjoy variety and the opportunity to help people and businesses succeed? Please read on!
The Center for Industrial Research and Service was created in 1963 to improve the quality of life in Iowa by helping businesses and their communities prosper and grow. Our individually tailored strategy Engage. Educate. Embed. means we work with companies to fashion solutions specific to their individual needs.
Over the past five years, CIRAS and our partners have helped more than 4,100 businesses in every Iowa county, creating an economic impact of more than $3 billion.
Iowa State University is a global and culturally diverse university committed to providing an inclusive, equitable, and diverse environment for both learning and employment. We know that diversity in experience and perspective is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and building an inclusive academic community. At Iowa State, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituents. The university has an expectation that all employees will demonstrate a contribution to diversity and inclusion as embodied in Iowa State University's Principles of Community.
About the Job:
The Center for Industrial Research and Service (CIRAS) at Iowa State University seeks a highly capable individual with strong project/program management skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for helping people and businesses succeed matched with experience in using human resource tools to create business results. The candidate should have experience in a variety of advanced human resources practices, including training and development, recruitment, and retention. The successful candidate will demonstrate a passion for helping people and businesses succeed
Critical skills include relationship building, business acumen, excellent verbal, and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; exceptional critical thinking, analytic and problem-solving skills; ability to deal with ambiguity; and strong time management skills. Agility: This work is still relatively new and evolving all the time. Opportunities to pivot and our ability to capitalize on them is important. Proficiency in digital tools including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power Point, client management software, online meeting software, etc. All staff members are expected to maintain the highest standards of integrity and ethical behavior.
This is a remote and in-person position based anywhere within the state of Iowa and will require state-wide travel.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Provide Technical Assistance to Iowa Businesses in the Area of Specialty
- Engage with business owners, CEOs, and presidents to demonstrate the return on investment of improving their businesses. Assess complex, multi-disciplinary, strategic, managerial, operational, and technical problems.
- Educate clients on the research and best practices in the area of specialty.
- Prepare, present and negotiate client proposals; collaborate and assist the company in identification of return on investment/economic impact of projects.
- Provide services tailored to the needs of the client.
- Provide coaching and follow-up to ensure change is embedded within company practices.
- Manage fee-for-service projects and grants.
Provide Expertise and Leadership in Workforce Strategy
- Develop and maintain ongoing professional relationships with businesses, business groups, and trade and professional associations.
- Act as a representative for Iowa State University and as an expert resource for state, local, and regional economic development partners.
- Lead and participate in public events and workshops focused on delivering the latest research and best practices.
- Continuously study the current state of Iowa and worldwide trends in human resources and workforce strategy.
- Develop and write reports, case studies, and articles for CIRAS News that inform readers about emerging issues and/or disseminate information about successful implementations by Iowa businesses.
Lead CIRAS Efforts in Area of Specialty
- Create, acquire, and continuously improve programs and curriculum in the area of specialty.
- Lead formal and informal teams including ISU faculty and staff, CIRAS partners, and other organizations to solve critical industry needs.
- Work with CIRAS Account Managers (AMs), Project Managers (PMs), CIRAS Leadership, and other experts in integrating solutions to provide transformational solutions to businesses.
- Assess, document, and communicate the financial impact of project work in the area of specialty.
Please apply even if you do not meet all the preferred qualifications.
The Human Capital and Workforce Strategy Project Manager is responsible for helping Iowa businesses implement improved strategies and tactics to retain and grow their workforce. This position partners with leaders, primarily at small- to mid-sized businesses throughout Iowa, to implement impactful change at all levels of the workplace.
- Experience in manufacturing, warehousing, construction, or other industrial environments.
- 10+ years experience in human resources delivery and leadership.
- Advanced degree or certificate in related field.
- SHRM-CP, PHR or equivalent professional HR certification.
- Demonstrated experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion activities
- Experience leading, influencing and motivating diverse groups to meet objectives.
- Experience developing and presenting material to an audience.
• Expert-level position possessing advanced professional and/or technical skills working under limited or no supervision
• Applies high-level professional knowledge and expertise to focus on ISU’s mission and meeting division, department or work unit goals
• Solves complex issues using highly-developed problem resolution skills
• Regularly provides recommendations regarding problems/issues outside the bounds of defined procedures and practices
• Utilizes high-level professional knowledge and expertise to provide guidance, recommendations, and set standards related to strategy, policy, and mission
• Leads projects of moderate to high scope and complexity with broad impact
• May provide supervision to other department staff (i.e., leads a small work team)
Why Choose Iowa State University?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
• This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.