Director of Facilities and Fleet Management - City of Grand Rapids
Are you looking for a leadership role that has everything, including initiatives around sustainability, and has a great team already in place? Look no further!
About the Organization
Grand Rapids is the second-largest city in Michigan, and the largest city in West Michigan. It is on the Grand River about 30 miles east of Lake Michigan and three hours from Chicago. The City's population is 198,829 and covers an area of 45 square miles. The combined statistical area of Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland is 1.3 million. The City recently received numerous recognitions ranging from the Best U.S. City to Invest in Housing and the Fastest Growing Economy in the U.S. (Forbes); the #1 City to Raise a Family; the #1 Hottest Real Estate Market to Watch (Trulia.com), and #28 Most Hipster City in the world. The Art Prize Festival was ranked one of the Top Five Festivals Worldwide (Time). Fifteen craft breweries are located within Grand Rapids making it locally known as Michigan's "Beer City." Grand Rapids provides a full range of services to a multicultural group of residents, students and visitors. The Grand Rapids metropolitan area hosts fifteen institutions of higher learning. Grand Rapids has 67 parks with sports and recreation activities year-round. Salmon weighing up to 35 pounds are caught during the annual upstream migration of the Grand River. In 2019 the City completed a comprehensive Strategic Plan with a new Mission Statement: To elevate quality of life through excellent City services.
About the Position
The purpose of this job is to manage and direct the overall activities and operations of the Facilities and Fleet Management Department. Repairs and replaces City-owned assets such as buildings and grounds, motor vehicles, heavy equipment, off-road equipment and miscellaneous related equipment. Oversees the activities of the vehicle impound and storage operations and surplus asset disposition for the organization.
Key responsibilities include:
- Provides vision, direction, leadership and strategic planning for all the various business units within the department.
- Develops comprehensive Asset Management strategies and procedures to ensure the correct investment timing.
- Provides direction to subordinate business unit managers and support staff to ensure daily operations and departmental outcomes are achieved.
- Researches and studies industry best practices, new technology advancements, and safety standards to ensure operations are efficient, innovative and sustainable.
- Develops strategic, long-term capital replacement schedules tied to financing sources and revenue streams.
- Ensures organizational managers and department directors have adequate facilities and equipment to meet their business needs.
- Interacts with department staff to communicate daily objectives and general direction of operations.
- Reviews and prepares department policies, procedures, budgets, and strategic plans.
- Checks progress on scheduled facility related projects and motor equipment procurement.
- Provides administrative direction on facility and motor equipment preventative maintenance and repair activities.
You have significant management and leadership experience and are excited about the opportunity to make major contributions to the City of Grand Rapids. You have relevant functional knowledge, excellent project management skills, strong budgeting abilities and experience working with unions. You enjoy learning new things and being part of a high performing and collaborative leadership team.
Please submit your application by February 13, 2022.
For more information, please view our detailed brochure here.