Design Engineer - Percival Scientific - Perry, IA
If you are looking for a career with an extraordinary company in an exciting field, Percival Scientific is the place for you!
Percival Scientific engineers’ environmental chambers for a wide variety of applications for universities, colleges, government institutions and private industry both domestically and internationally. Our highly customized products are used in Plant Pathology, Agronomy/Crop Science, Ecology/Environmental Biology, Genetics, Horticulture, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Indoor Agriculture, Pharmaceutical, and Biomedical applications around the world. We have grown to represent a rich tradition of product ingenuity and reliability and are proud to support scientific initiatives that accelerate cutting edge research in areas such as climate change, food production and human health.
Our facility encompasses all engineering, design, fabrication, testing and validation of our extensive product lines, and allows Percival Scientific to control the entire manufacturing process. This ensures customers receive the best performing, highest quality products possible – something upon which they have come to depend.
Percival Scientific’s strong reputation for product ingenuity and reliability has become recognized throughout the world. With a history that spans more than a century, our company continues in its commitment to support research that will impact the future.
About the Job
The successful candidate will be responsible for the design and/or customization of Percival’s products to meet our customers’ unique requirements, and to provide technical support during manufacturing, testing, validation and installation phases of each project. Percival’s highly customized products are treated as individual projects and are built to order through Percival’s manufacturing system.
The successful candidate will work with Percival’s engineering team on various projects but focus primary upon customer requests for large (walk-in) sized environments.
Although project timelines are typically fast-paced, Percival offers a relaxed, fun, and rewarding work environment.
- Coordinate, engineer and monitor assigned projects
- Interface with customers and Percival’s sales team as needed at the inception of each project in support of developing project requirements documentation, technical specifications and other design requirements
- Identify applicable project specifications, codes, performance standards, or practices
- Decompose customer narratives and project specifications into project design requirements
- Oversee all technical aspects of the project’s design under the supervision of senior engineers and project managers
- Prepare technical drawing packages, bills of materials, testing and validation requirements documents and other work instructions for manufacturing
- Provide technical support for projects as they move through the manufacturing and testing processes
- Facilitate the accomplishment of strategic engineering initiatives as described in the organization’s yearly business plan
- Collaborate with project managers, peers, and supervisors in the engineering department as well as other project participants and stakeholders to satisfy customer requirements, delivery schedules and overall project profitability
- Contribute to the refinement of standard product designs to facilitate the implementation of new technologies, performance improvements, cost reductions, and reduced manufacturing throughput times
You thrive in a team atmosphere through your professionalism, communication, organizational skills, and self-motivation.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related scientific/technical field or relevant work experience in HVAC, electrical or mechanical design field(s)
- Ability to manage multiple, overlapping projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of refrigeration and/or electrical systems with prior design experience
- Knowledge of sheet metal design and fabrication
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of parametric 3D modelling and product data management software
- Experience with Made2Manage, or other ERP software