City Manager - City of Yale
If you’re experienced in accounting, grant writing, and City Management and working for a small, family-friendly town near Lake Huron interests you, apply now!
City of Yale, Michigan - City Manager Position Profile
The City of Yale seeks an experienced administrator who will thrive in a municipality with a strong history of quality services and a top-notch school system for its 2,063 residents. Located in the "thumb" of Michigan, Yale is well-known for the annual Yale Bologna festival it hosts every July.
About the City of Yale
Located in Western St. Clair County, the City of Yale offers a safe, family-friendly environment. Its residents enjoy the benefits of a small town with the convenience of being easily accessible to Port Huron, the shores of Lake Huron and the Thumb area.
Yale is a Fourth Class City, under Michigan Municipal law, whose residents historically support local businesses and enjoy excellent public safety services. It’s well-regarded schools which serve Yale as well as the surrounding rural communities.
City Assets and Strengths:
- A strong downtown with historical buildings and shops.
- Very strong department leaders and employees, including in Police, Waste Water and Department of Public Works.
- Good location with easy access to Flint and Port Huron communities.
- Small town atmosphere, a community where kids can walk to schools and families can stroll downtown for ice cream.
- Potential for growth given location, well-run services and schools, and space for industrial and commercial expansion.
For additional information about Yale, please visit: https://www.city-data.com/zips/48097.html.
About the Role of City Manager
The next City Manager must be a leader who displays deep compassion for the community. This individual must foster a culture of open communication while collaborating with council, neighborhood communities, local organizations, businesses, and residents from across the City to achieve excellence.
This position is the chief administrative officer of the City and serves at the pleasure of the City Council. The powers and duties granted to the City Manager include:
- General Administration of the City - Administer day-to-day operations and ensure Village practices comply with all laws and regulations.
- City Council Relations - Prepare agenda items for City Council meetings and attend all meetings.
- Community Relations - Connect with residents, businesses and other interest groups in a professional and respectful manner.
- Budget Administration - Prepare and submit the annual budget and oversee its administration through the fiscal year.
- Advisory - Keep the council advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the City, and make recommendations to the council concerning the affairs of the City as necessary or appropriate for the improvement of the City or its services.
- Service Delivery - Assume responsibility for the efficient and cost-effective delivery of City services.
For more information, please see: https://www.yalemi.us/nav/about_us/city_charter.php
We are seeking an effective and organized implementer of Council priorities, team builder and problem solver with administrative experience. We seek a collaborator and consensus builder that supports the City Council, Staff and residents, and will help manage new initiatives and continue the tradition of delivering excellent City services.
This role has many facets, and the successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, project manager and strategic thinker. Candidates should demonstrate an interest in public service and empathy for a wide range of perspectives and needs.
Experience with the following areas of subject matter is helpful:
- Budgeting and accounting
- Grant writing
- Infrastructure and public works
- Community and economic development
Key upcoming challenges and opportunities:
- Infrastructure needs, including roads and a street millage
- Maintain small town feel while supporting growth
- Parks and playground improvements
- Near-term retirements in the City office
A Bachelor’s degree in business, public administration, government, economics, social science, planning, or a related field is preferred.
In terms of the performance and competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Has strong financial skills; can execute policies efficiently and effectively by championing best-in-class operational practices and a culture of operational excellence.
- The ability to support the team, delegate effectively, manage performance, and exemplify strong leadership skills,engaging and supporting others.
- A leader who leads by example, and holds self and others accountable for achieving results; demonstrates strong organization and negotiation skills; stays calm and composed in difficult situations.
- The ability to advise the City Council regarding both positive and negative policy implications by having the aptitude to seek, analyze, and present data from a variety of sources to support multiple viewpoints and to align residents with the Village’s overall strategy.
- Naturally connects with and builds strong relationships with others; demonstrates strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Applications are requested by February 16, 2022.
- Candidates seeking confidentiality under Michigan law should clearly state their intentions.