Plant Manager - Food/Animal Processing - WG Provisions - Sidney, IA
Are you a Harvest Manager with a broad range of business skills who has a passion for the meat industry? If yes, then read on!
About the Company
WG Provisions is an entrepreneurial, family-owned company that strives to provide high quality meats to our customers. Since 1979, WG Provisions has been producing quality meats and life-saving biomedical livestock tissue.
We take great pride in the quality of our products as well as the safety of our product, facilities, operations, and employees. At WG Provisions, our core values are honesty, consistency, and teamwork. By living out those values, we foster an environment where employees and our customers can count on us.
About the Opportunity
The Harvest Manager will serve as the strategic oversight and leadership of all aspects of our Butchery production, from harvest through shipping, with an emphasis on both safety and efficiency.
This position requires knowledge of production, leadership, team development, and operational effectiveness in the food manufacturing and meat harvesting industry.
- Supervise all production activities in accordance with plant policies, programs, and standards concerning safety, quality, productivity, and cost
- Identify harvesting improvements and implement new processes and equipment which support an efficient operation; strive for an operation with continuous improvement
- Manage the operation to identified KPIs and proactively identify solutions which meet and exceed needed KPIs
- Assure product quality assurance guidelines are met and work cooperatively with Quality team and manage an operation that achieves efficiency and food safety
- Manage Butchery staff and administer established wage scale, vacations, and other benefits
- Develop overall organizational plan for Butchery Crew in cooperation with Pig team members
- Identify skill sets and train team members in harvesting, food safety, pack off, and other related skills and define staffing needs based on business objectives
- Actively promote adherence to Quality, Sanitation, HACCP, and USDA standards to achieve a finished product within quality control specifications
- Continually monitor for plant and personnel safety; make recommendations for improvements and responsible for all facets of facility maintenance
- Challenge current equipment and production procedures; recommend alternatives for improved productivity and efficiency and lead the improvements
- Ensure inventory of raw materials, ingredients, package & supply materials, and sanitation supplies used in the plant are maintained and managed
- Serve as a key member of our Meats division – identifying new business areas, thought leadership, improvements, etc
- Animal/Meat Science, Agriculture, or Business Degree preferred
- High school diploma/GED required
- Strong computer skills; basic-to-intermediate skill level in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Teams; QuickBooks skills are a plus
- A “can do” attitude; a problem solver; a “let’s make this better” philosophy